Aaron Matthew Lim
Master Vocal Coach
I have dedicated my life towards helping singers around the world achieve their desired singing voice, through simple vocal exercises and warm-ups that can be done anytime throughout the day!
Here are just some notable milestones in my singing journey:
• Achieved a Diploma of the London College of Music in Popular Music Vocals Performance in the year 2010
• Launched my very first EP Album in September 2014, consisting of 3 Mandarin original song compositions written by songwriters from my music school
• Filmed my 1st Mandarin Music Video for my EP Title Song, 守护 (To Protect). You can view it below:
- Filmed my 2nd Mandarin Music Video for the 2nd song in my EP, 调色盘 (Palette). You can view it here:
- Filmed my 3rd Mandarin Music Video for the 3rd song in my EP, 回心转意 (A Change Of Heart). You can view it here:
• In 2007, founded my own music school (Intune Music – www.intunemusic.com.sg) specializing in singing courses, providing lessons in Classical Opera, Broadway Singing, Pop Vocals as well as Speech Level Singing
• In 2008, founded Your-Personal-Singing-Guide.Com, a free online resource for singers all around the world, providing singing tips and resources to singing students everywhere! (This is how you found me!)
• In 2011, attended my first Estill Voice International workshop on the voice and how it works
• Over the next few years, continued to attend Estill Voice workshops, and achieved a Certificate of Figure Proficiency in 2011
• Currently on the certification pathway in Estill Voice and am now a Certified Master Teacher Candidate (CMT-C)
• At the peak of my teaching career in 2003, I averaged 100-110 hours of lesson instruction ever month, with approximately 30 students under my care
• Took on the responsibility of Head of Department, and later on Overall School Manager for the music school I was working in, managing a total of 150-200 active students for their singing education, creating and refining syllabus materials and content for singing courses
• Founded a singing club in the university I was studying in during 1999. This club is still active till this very day! ( Almost 15 years have passed.. and yes, I was passionate about singing from that long ago! )
• Played the piano since I was 6 years of age (my passion for music started when I was young.. and no, that’s not me in the picture, although he is such a cute boy!)
After over more than a decade of singing and teaching voice to my students, and launching my singing career in 2014, I have revolutionized the way I teach my singing students, and created a clear and simple way in which I can impart my knowledge to my singing students and teach them how to teach themselves to sing!
No more second-guessing about what my students are doing wrong, and how to correct them. I can see with great clarity how my students are singing, what they are doing with their voice, and I can guide them with great exactness with regards to the singing exercises they need specifically to achieve their desired singing voice.
And you’re about to find out how and why I can do so.
Here’s My Full Story:
I was born in 1978, and I was a shy boy since young, always preferring to stay quiet and observe from the side, instead of sticking out and being the life of the party.
It was only when I joined a local university, that I finally stepped out into the limelight and began my singing journey. That was when I was 21 years of age, so I was no child prodigy singer. Who says that people who start singing late in their lives cannot achieve anything great?
In fact, I not only began to sing while I was in the university, but I was performing regularly at various public events, and also began taking singing lessons at a private music school that was known for providing lessons to singing students with potential to be stars and artistes.
But singing and being in the limelight was just not enough for me!
I wanted to teach others to sing better, and I wanted to find out all I could about singing and how people can improve on their own singing. I wanted to share my knowledge and my love for singing with as many people as I could.
I began to teach singing in the year 2001, taking on more students year after year, and peaking with an average of 100-120 hours of lesson instruction to up to 30-40 students per month!
I do have to be honest here though.
When I first started to teach singing, I had absolutely NO CLUE how to do it!
I was given lessons in how to guide students during class, and how to teach the necessary scales and musical intervals that were necessary for good pitching. I was also well trained in how to guide my students to sing pop songs. But I was never given any training with regards to the mechanics of the human voice, or how to train it specifically to achieve a desired result.
And this was, to me, the greatest shortcoming in my training as a vocal coach. I felt as though I was a pole vaulter who could not use his arms!
As a result of this great abyss in my singing education, I embarked on a lifelong quest to seek out the holy grail of singing education, and understand all I could about the human voice and how we can train ourselves for singing.
I also founded Your-Personal-Singing-Guide.Com in 2008, in the hope that singers around the world can partake in the knowledge that I had accumulated, and also help to contribute to the free resource and refine my own singing knowledge in the process. (yes, I wanted to really reach out to all singers around the world!)
My quest led me to take lessons with instructors hailing from many different singing schools of thought, but it was only after these 14 years of searching and experimenting, that I finally discovered that I had found a singing resource so powerful that I could spend the rest of my life learning and discovering about the voice.
And this is why I am confident that I am able to help you achieve your desired singing voice.
Over the past 14 years of teaching, I have accumulated vocal exercises and tips about singing that were of great use to my singing students.
I have tried and tested many of the singing myths that have been going around and even become popular urban legends, and I have also acquired a deep understanding of how our human voice works, and how we can use this knowledge to train our own singing.
And there is still so much more to discover about our voice! It amazes me all the time to know that my singing education continues, and that I can continue to learn, and also continue to teach everyone who wants to learn more about singing.